Last Seen Transcription
Transcribing the ads is an important part of the process of recovering these family stories. Once an ad is fully transcribed—and verified and published by the Last Seen team—all of the information in it can be discovered via keyword search.
- Transcribe the document as it appears in the window. What you type gets transferred to the main document record as transcription, so don't add anything like a transcriber's signature or notes.
- Preserve the spelling of the document, even if words are misspelled.
- Preserve the punctuation of the document, even if it seems wrong to you.
- If you cannot make out a word, include [undecipherable] in the place of the illegible word.
- Do not use the tab button; it causes formatting problems. To indicate a paragraph, use two hard returns to leave a line between the paragraphs in the editing window.
- If you have additional information about the document or wish to explain any of your transcription decisions, leave a note for the editors.